Saliva Testing for Cortisol and DHEAS Levels in Maplewood - Saint Paul, MN
If you are having symptoms such as adrenal fatigue , anxiety, chronic stress , obesity, diabetes, depression, insomnia, foggy thinking, weight gain around your mid-section, and other chronic conditions, your health practitioner may suggest you do a saliva test for cortisol and DHEAS levels.
How to Perform a Cortisol and DHEAS Saliva Test
A saliva test for cortisol and DHEAS requires that you spit into a test tube and provide that sample to a laboratory for testing. To get a viable sample, you will need to provide enough saliva to fill at least half of a tube, but preferably three-fourths full, minus the bubbles. You will be asked to spit into the test tube four separate times during these times of day:
- 8 AM
- 4 PM
- 11 PM to Midnight
Precautions to Note Before Creating Your Saliva Cortisol and DHEAS Sample
- Collect your first sample within 30 minutes of waking, before you eat, drink, exercise, floss, brush your teeth or take any hormones
- Discontinue anti-wrinkle creams for three days prior to collection, as they may contain low levels of hormones
- Topical hormones should not be applied to the face or neck
- Do not use your bare hands to apply topical hormones for at least two days prior to your saliva collection
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after each topical hormone application and dry with a clean towel each time
- Do not take your sample if you are sick
- If you are taking oral contraceptives, collect your samples on days 19-21 of your cycle
- Do not chew gum to stimulate saliva, as it may contaminate the sample
- If you cannot collect enough saliva in one day, add more for up to 3 days, at the right times of listed above
- Exercise will affect cortisol levels, so just do your normal activity during a saliva collection day
- If you are diabetic and must eat first thing in the morning, ask your doctor for further instructions
- If you are a woman who does not have a menstrual cycle, you can do your saliva collection any day of the month
Once you have completed this sample, you can mail the test tubes to the lab your physician has chosen for you. Results will arrive within two weeks.
Is a Saliva Test Reliable?
Yes. Saliva cortisol testing is covered by Medicare Plan B. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the World Health Organization (WHO) recognize saliva cortisol testing to be reliable.
Request more information about saliva tests for cortisol and DHEAS today. Call (952) 777-8887 or contact Advanced Health and Vitality Center online.
Advanced Health and Vitality Center
Address7201 West 78th Street
Bloomington, MN 55439
8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Tue: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Wed: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Thu: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Fri: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Areas We Service:Eagan, MN, Edina, MN, West Bloomington, MN, Chanhassen, MN, Burnsville, MN, Lakeville, MN, Eden Prairie, MN, Excelsior, MN, Hopkins, MN, Minneapolis, MN, Minnetonka, MN, Wayzata, MN, Saint Paul, MN, Shakopee, MN, Apple Valley, MN, Eagan, MN, Bloomington, MN, Plymouth, MN, Richfield, MN, St Louis Park, MN, Maple Grove, MN, Maplewood, MN, White Bear Lake, MN